Saturday, May 31, 2014

Checklist


As I believed I have mentioned before, my mechanism for coping with my pre-China anxiety was to simply go to sleep, where I could not think about it any longer.  For Bahrain, it seems to be to avoid thinking about it all together.  Unless I get an email from the school asking me to complete the next step in the process of getting me over there (physical, visa, etc), whenever I start thinking about the mundane things I have to do to get ready (what to pack, what to ship, etc) I generally just sort of shake my head, and think, "later, I'll worry about it later...I'll sit down tonight and make a list of what I need."  Well, later is always filled with other things, and so later just keeps getting pushed further and further back.

Well, I finally figured out that it is probably time to stop doing that, especially after a friend reminded me that pretty soon later is going to turn into right now. She also reminded me of how much I do not like being stressed about last minute plans. I manage to roll with the punches, but it takes a toll on my mental well being when I am rushed.  What can I say, I'm a planner.

So, as I started to sit down and make my list of what to bring, I was struck by how different this list is from my list before I went to China.  For China, my primary concern was making sure I had enough professional clothing/outfits to get me through a few weeks of teaching and that were also appropriate for the weather I could expect in Hangzhou.  Well, it turns out in China that as long as you are not in ripped jeans and something showing way too much cleavage, pretty much anything goes.  It is also perfectly acceptable in China to wear the same outfit more than once per week, and even consecutively.  Thus, I found myself completely discarding half of my wardrobe (cuz who wants to wear dress slacks and blazers if you don't have to, am I right?)  However, I am pretty sure my suitcases were stuffed almost exclusively with clothes (I had some make up, bath stuff, and a towel, that I can remember).

Bahrain is a completely different story.  Yes, I am still packing a variety of clothes, but I have been teaching long enough to know what is professional and what is not, and I have been instructed by the school as to what is acceptable for teachers to wear and what is advisable for women to wear (culturally) when out and about town.  So I am good there.  However, I find my self thinking of a bunch of other things that I would not have considered packing for my maiden travel experience.  If you're considering spending a lengthy stay in a place far from home--I am talking at least six months--you might want to think about a few of these things.

Disposable Razors and Shaving Cream:
Naturally occurring body hair is not nearly as repulsive, and therefore in need of regular removal, in other countries as it is in America. Thus, it was difficult (or near impossible) to find razors in China.  And none of them were disposable--they were the electric kind men shave their faces with and not at all cheap.   I would like to tell you that this experience made me appreciative of the ways our cultures manipulate us into buying into certain standard of beauty and I became more comfortable with body in it's more natural (and hairy) state.  This did not happen; I just wore long pants/leggings/tights and was careful not to raise my arms.  Then I had my mom ship me a razor and about three containers of replacement blades.

Brand Specific Feminine Products:
Just trust me on this.  Bring lots of whatever it is you use.

Decor:
Most often in these teach abroad positions, you are given housing--it is an apartment that someone lived in for their two year contract and someone else will live there after your two years are over.  These types of places typically come fully furnished, but do not come fully decorated; most people on a temporary assignment (though two years is a long time) do not invest in decorating.  Thus, this time around I will be bringing photos of friends, family, and landscapes, so I can cover those bare, unfamiliar walls with pictures of people and places that I love.  And there really is nothing more depressing than stark white walls in a new place all by yourself. Tons of photos do not take up much room in a carry-on and can seriously ease that first initial wave of home sickness in a new place. It also helps to make that stark new environment feel like your home.

Brand new small clothes:
I am talking largely about bras and underwear.  I do not think it will be too difficult to find these products in Bahrain, but in China, my chest size was massive (compared to the locals).  It was near impossible to find a bra in my size.  And as you can imagine, wearing the same bras for a year and a half?  Yeah, not so supportive at the end of 18 months.  Thus, this time around I will be bringing brand new never before worn bras and they will go in the back of my unmentionables drawer to be used when my current set has run it's course.
Tangentially related to this, you might want to bring extras of whatever you use a lot.  Run all the time?  Grab an extra (and new) pair of running shoes.  Whatever you have that gets a lot of wear, you should try to bring an extra of it.

Food: 
Okay, now it would be a huge waste of space to bring a lot of food from home.  And hey, the whole point of living in another country is to acquire and develop an understanding an appreciation for all facets of another culture, including food.  All of this sounds well and good for about four months until you just want a taste of home that is not fast food; you want home.  The biggest thing I missed about American food while I was in China was what was made in my parents house, not what I could get at restaurants. Thus, I will be bringing a bag of the popcorn my family uses and the spices they put on it, so when I am feeling like a little taste of home, I have that option.

You may be going through and thinking about all this extra stuff and where is it going to fit in the carry on and one checked bag you are now allowed on international flights.  Well, it's not.   I will be paying a $75 baggage fee for each of two extra bags for my trip to Bahrain; I will not be worried about not having what I need and want this time around.  The extra money is worth it, trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment